Part #1 Of this Story about, "The Birds & The Bees..."

"24/ 7, 365, 576 each day you're alive
210, 240, Every 2.5 minutes, Only 1 in 3 Reported...."
Those were the statistics of Sexual Assault in the Fall of 2007 when I wrote the song, "The Birds & The Bees, (sexual assault in the u.s.)

When the CD was printed in the Fall of 2008 Statistics had risen dramatically...
In The United States, Every 2 Minutes someone is Sexually Assaulted
That Equals = 720 people every day & = 262,800 people annually....
We decided not to re-record the song in hopes that soon the stats would be lower
(also, I couldn't figure out a better way to rhyme the new numbers.....ha!ha!)

In all Seriousness...How did this Song, Partnership with RAINN, come to be....?
When I moved to Taos (for the 10th time.....) in the summer of 2007 things were groovy. I wasn't sure how long I would stay (this time!) but I was enjoying every sunset in this beautiful mountain town. In early September, I suddenly had trouble falling asleep at night, panicking at every sound, compulsively checking door/window locks, my brain became complete fearful madness as soon as my nightlight went out.... As you could imagine, it was pretty awful & confusing. Slowly, but surely, as the tight coil of my emotions began to unravel it spelled out PTSD from an assault that had happened years ago. I thought I had faced it, but obviously pieces of my sub-conscious hadn't. During this healing and discovery process I began to journal.
Then out of nowhere I thought of going to the RAINN site - (will share more details about RAINN in a bit, prob Next Blog!) This was a transformational moment for me. As I read thru the site, I saw 2 things which brought tears to my eyes..... 1. I am not alone 2. The Statistics were astounding! - assault occurrences (every 2 minutes), survivors who do not report (2/3 ), assailants who will never see a day in Jail (94%)
The numbers started running thru my brain, into my pen, onto my piano, mixed in with the words that I had written in my journal = a song... "The Birds & The Bees (sexual assault in the u.s.)
I am a Scorpio, (11/1/.... and I like presents -lol!) well, you astrological types already know that means.... the kind of person who prefers to keep personal feelings private.
And I have never been one to stand on a soap box (afraid my heels would get stuck!) But, for some reason, this time, I wanted to share, because I knew in that process (which has been a windy road) I could help others.
1. Sharing tells people They are not alone
2. Telling Statistics, Raises Awareness which Equals Prevention of Sexual Assault Crimes.

Thru this song, I have heard many other people's stories. They will come up to me and say, "thank you" because it opens a door for them to heal and often to share their own experience. And each time, I open up and discover there's a little bit more of me that I am able to share.
There is often so much silence, shame, anger, confusion, loneliness around the healing process.
I said to a friend that I would play this song 100 times a day, if it meant that in one of those repetitions, it could touch/help one person.
A support system can be a blessing. If you need help, advice, anything.. call the hotline! (1800656HOPE), or log onto RAINN.org (online hotline) both services are free, private, confidential. Also, think about finding a support group or a trusted therapist.
I feel blessed for music, writing, and my piano, because expressing thru creativity was a huge part of what helped me. And anyone can pick up a journal, a pen, paints, garden find an outlet outside of your mind that helps to express your emotions. Know that whatever you are feeling is alright, you are not alone and you have already survived. Be patient and kind to yourself :)

I feel like that's a lot for one little Blog! Next time, Part #2, I 'll talk more about RAINN
One more Thing
I did an interview last fall on Survivor Radio Cafe. The premise of this show is simply that we are all survivors of something.....
www.blogtalkradio.com/survivorradiocafe/2008/the-power-of-music-with-guest-meridith-blis
(yes! they spelled my name wrong, but I these ladies rock anyway :)
So, my friends, that is Chapter 1 of this story of "The Birds & The Bees"
I'm going to practice for the upcoming CD Release in NYC on 4/22
XO
Meredith






Comments

Popular Posts