Where do all the mermaids stand?

Giants, Wizards, & Dwarfs was the game to play! Left with 80 children I explained the game. I yelled out- "you have to decide which you are, a giant, a wizard or a dwarf!"

A small child looks up at me and asks in a concerned voice, "where do the mermaids stand?"
Where do mermaids stand? says I.
The little girl knew her category and intended to participate without giving up dignity or identity.

Well, where do all the mermaids stand? All those who are different, who do not fit the norm and don't accept the available boxes?
Answer that question and you can build a school, a nation, or a world on it....
By the way it is not true that mermaids do not exist... I know at least one personally, I have held her hand. anonymous

No Surprise here HOW much I LOVE this story. There is a mixed media painting on the wall where I am house-sitting
It has a picture of a mermaid (with a crown holding a wand, no less!) And these words are on it, in a collage of magazine letters and words. I think it is Magical.
We should all learn to accept that none of us are the 'norm' - there are no boxes, we are all beautiful in our different-ness and that is OK. It is an amazing gift to be able to stand with pride, embrace our uniqueness and be who we are fearlessly.

Comments

Popular Posts