NY, NY it's a Helluva Town!

Yes, and I mean that for reals! And if you haven't seen the old musical 'On the Town' (that's where that song is from!)
Go for it - My top 5 reasons
Leonard Bernstein (one of my favorite people/musicans/composers/conductors, etc et al - ever!)
Frank Sinatra
Gene Kelly
Betty Comden & Adolph Green
The magic of NYC in the 40's
So, if you like musicals, this one is definitely worth it!

As for my trip?
In 11 days, I spent 3 in NJ, prepared for and played a show, got a new (actually 2) piercing, went to the dentist, spent some wonderful time with amazing friends :) AND the big one - packed and moved the last of my belongings out of my East Village apt. However ...... it's subletted & the lease is still in my name. As you NY-ers know? most of us are reluctant (to say the least!) to give up a rent stabilized apt in nyc!!
Will I ever go back? I'll leave that fate and see where she takes me next

Meantime, the remaining pieces from the first 2/3 of my little life are now headed to Nashville and due to arrive today!
Most especially, one of my favorite friends - my grandma's piano. She has now officially traveled the U.S. - From CA to NYC and now to TN. And I cannot wait for Fern (that's the piano's name) to join me here. Hope she likes it as much I do!

It's funny, I attended an amazing event here where Beth Nielson-Chapman spoke. Ah, a reason why I hang my hat in TN! - so much songwriting beauty & community - I digress.....
One of the many wonderful things she said was that every instrument has songs within it. I had never thought of it that way and it feels so true. I wrote most of my first record, "A Purple Kind of Blue" with Fern. She has a lot to say to me. Most of "Let it Rain" was written on Cassie the Keyboard in NM (she also lives in TN now)
My grandmother, Fern Blis (yes that IS really my middle name!) was a piano teacher and she graduated from Juilliard with a double major in Voice and Piano. Funny how that all came full circle 50 years later. I first walked through those doors in '92 to audition for their dance dept (didn't make the cut!) and returned 5 years later for classical composition (made the cut that time!) So, I guess I had to wait til I found my right place.
Returning to NYC this trip also made me realize that for now NYC is not my right place.
It's sometimes important to leave our past exactly where it belongs, behind us and that Can give us courage to be in this now so that we can look forward to the future...


In closing, I'd like to sign off with
A shout-out to some of my favorite NYC places:
Lincoln Center, the lights in Times Square, Broadway shows, Tiffany's, Cruising on the FDR while looking at the East River, the magic moment of how an Ipod can bring peace on the subway or bus, Bleecker St at 2 am when the clubs are still hoppin' with live music (then showing up and sitting in with friends), Jazz joints, Diners (& all of the amazing restaurants!), & of course, my friends & family, hmmmmmmmm Maybe it's not such a bad place after all ?

Needless to say it was a whirlwind and now I need a vacation to recover from this adventure
Bahamas, anyone?
til we meet again
Love, Light and Blessings
Meredith Blis

Comments

  1. Taos misses YOU. Doesn't sound like YOU will be coming back here soon. So kick some musical ass in Nashville.
    Remember that joke, what did Tennessee, the same thing Arkansas. hahahahah. Love & Stuff
    P:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts