Me & Georgia O'Keeffe


The Magic of NM inspired todays article! An inspirational jaunt through some O’Keeffe quotes. Not only do I love her work, but I think her spirit & her art reminds us of what it means to be courageous in the face of fear, respect our true voice, be ruthless in our expression, and honor both the beauty of people and the world around us. (pic is a photo-image of O’Keeffe by her long-time partner & famed photographer, Alfred Stieglitz. An interesting note is that this piece appeared in an exhibit that created quite a stir in NYC circa 1921)

Growing up, my mom had a large coffee table book with Georgia O’Keefe paintings as well as a smaller book about O’Keefe’s life. They sat on the glass coffee table in the living room. As a kid I would look at those paintings and I was mesmerized. It wasn’t until I got older that I was able to understand the magic, the talent and the courage of this extraordinary artist.

A lot of her work is influenced by the incredible landscapes of the Southwest. After spending most of her adult life in NYC - Georgia lived her later years between a home called Ghost Ranch and a private home in Abiquiu. Some people actually refer to this area as, “O’Keefe Country”

The first time I drove cross country – I said to myself, “I want to come back to the Southwest to hike the Grand Canyon and spend more time in NM” And 7 years later, I did both these things! Which is indirectly how I landed in Taos. My initial goal was to visit Okeeffe’s compound in Abiquiu and her museum in Santa Fe. I quickly discovered why she called NM, “God’s Country” and I also fell in love with NM :)

Here’s some Beautiful Quotes from this Exceptional Woman. I like to keep them on hand when I’m feeling not so brave or extraordinary....

“I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing that I wanted to do.”


Fearless is not Who you Are, Fearless is what you DO!

Oftentimes, we all get scared. Yes! Scared to speak our truth, Express our Art in our unique way,  & afraid, “What will people say/do/think if I …..do/write/sing/paint,etc a certain thing. It’s natural to let fear stop us in our tracks and prevent us from traveling the distance. Here’s another approach….

We can choose to Acknowledge the fear, realize it’s ok and then Keep On Keepin’ On anyway. When I look at someone like O’Keeffe – I see a woman who accomplished so much, expressed her true voice without apology, and lived most of her life on her terms. If she admits to be scared, then maybe it’s OK if I am too sometimes :) (that pic is O’Keeffe painting outdoors in Santa Fe, NM)

“To create one's world in any of the arts takes courage.”
I think sometimes we forget how brave we are – Artists especially. We get out there on stage and sing our personal stories or We display in paint our innermost visions or We share our deepest feelings in our writing. It’s a big deal, It takes a lot of Heart, Honesty & Courage! Take a moment and acknowledge that.

“I decided to accept as true my own thinking.”
We have the power to choose our thoughts. We all hear the voices around us….. but it’s more important to hear our own voice as truth. I think the common challenge is taking the time to listen! There’s so much noise around us. Plus all of the computers, smart phones, texting, social media, tv, etc which create an endless stream of information & communication coming directly at us.

This overwhelm can make it impossible to hear our own voice. That’s one thing that drove yours truly from the East Village to NM….. But you don’t have to move 2,000 miles! Just give yourself the gift of quiet time – solitary and usually being in nature helps. Oh and remember it’s OK to turn off the computer and the phone occasionally so that you can hear your own thinking!! Living in our own truth gives us power & peace of mind.

“Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small it takes time - we haven't time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time.”



Sometimes, we just have to make the time. Prosaically, “Stop and Smell the Roses” Take the time to exhale, look around, listen……

We live in what I call a microwave society…. We’ve become accustomed to having everything at our fingertips in an instant! Like lasting friendships and love relationships, Good things do take time & attention…. And these are the things in life that are often the most worth it (I choose that flower because I hung that Pic in my NYC apt for Years!)

“Singing has always seemed to me the most perfect means of expression. It is so spontaneous. And after singing, I think the violin. Since I cannot sing, I paint.”

Ironically Georgia…. I can’t paint so I sing and write! I admire those who do both.

What are your unique gifts? What is your form of expression? We all have an expression of creativity that help us to honor our truth. Skills take time (like flowers & friendships) to develop. But if you listen closely we all have something to share. Allow yourself to do it fearlessly!

Comments

Popular Posts