An Amazing Experience with Bernie Taupin!! Beyond Words

NM is famous for its painters light, so when I lived in Taos, I was constantly surrounded by art. 
Also, a lot of my friends were visual artists and I learned a lot from a dear friend who is a serious art collector.  Since my move to TN -I’ve forgotten a little about the emotional impact of amazing visual art, as well as, how much I love contemporary art!! Don't get me wrong - I LOVE being so entrenched in a music town! Truth be told, I've always wanted to paint! But, my natural expression and thinking happens through words, music & composition.

Honestly, when I arrived at the Rhymer Gallery, I did not know what to expect. And I was thrilled to discover that it was all contemporary art, as well as mixed media, and some of it even had words… ALL my faves! The paintings went pretty deep both visually and spiritually.
 

“Canvas to me is simply the visual extension of what I have spent my life creating through words. The imagination, in my estimation, is the most powerful tool the artists possess enabling us to conjure up beautiful distraction for the ears and eyes.  

I have no formula except that which comes from what I dream, feel and see. To me colors are like words…they express emotions…likewise texture and mediums display an abundance of moods.”  -Bernie Taupin

Wow!  How true it is that we are all connected to our creativity, by our thoughts, experiences, & dreams, no matter what medium we choose.

This exhibit reminded me how powerful it is for artists to look outside their box (their specific craft) and allow themselves to fill the well with the mediums that they don’t create in.  Remembering and affirming the impact that our pure creative expression can have on others is powerful.  So express yourself, “Fearlessly!”
Never underestimate the power of your gifts.

Here are a few of the many beautiful things that spoke to me as I gazed around the Rhymer Gallery in a creative haze…

TITLES ARE A PLAYGROUND!!!

One of the cool things I noticed was his titles.  Not surprising, considering he is such a gifted wordsmith!  In the Vimeo link below, I was surprised that he talks about the power of good titles – how songwriter-esque of him! (We hear this every day in Nashville!)  Makes sense…

 A good title for a painting is akin to a good title for a song, 
and I think perhaps the same is true for literature.  It helps to build a solid foundation. If you find a good title you’ll be able find something juicy to fit around it.

Here were some that made me smile….
Authority in Perspective
Cloud Cover
Vertical Disbelief (pictured above)
Blood Money (pictured to the right)

Ragged Glory
Bad Candy Box
Bang
And +?

Any songwriter, writer or poet could have a very full afternoon with any of these thoughts; and the visual images were so rich, filled with textures, colors, shapes and spirit.  Super cool to experience such deep creativity!
IMAGINATIVE WORDS
Some of my favorite pieces had little sentences, letters and words… It’s always moving for me when visual artists add this element to their work. 
It’s like adding an interesting layer of production to a song or pictures to a book! I found these inspiring… (Wish I had the art to add to these words, but most of the original pieces started @ 20K....)

“Suddenly the wind shifted the colors and Hit the Sun”
(However, it wasn’t all in one sentence, the words were scattered in a pattern on the canvas covered with rich pastels and patterns.)
 
“Contribute Continue Connect and Question”
(3 separate canvases- each of the them had a ? with the word written over it.)
That painting was titled,  "
And +?"

“I Shall Not Speak With Restraint” (pictured)

THE POWER & CRAFT OF LEAVING ART NEUTRAL SO THAT PEOPLE CAN INTERPRET IT THOUGHT THEIR OWN EXPERIENCE
See “Bang!” (Pictured below)
During the exhibit, my friend referred to this painting and asked Taupin if the work was pro or against NRA/guns and his answer was fascinating, “Well, what does it say to you?” Taupin did not answer the question directly and he did not give his opinion. Instead, he left it to the observer to see and experience their own feelings through the work. It’s really cool that this painting could be interpreted either way!
Once again we see the magic of great art. It makes us connect with our imagination and think our own thoughts on a deeper level. (All that being said, I spoke to him a few times and he was very receptive and nice!!)

 In the words of Bernie, “If there’s something you want to do, then you need to go out and do it” (that would make a cool painting/image!)

Also, this little Vimeo rocks! It is less than five minutes with Bernie talking about when he started painting, how it compares to writing with Elton John, and lots of other cool stuff! 
http://vimeo.com/couchmode/user723162/videos/sort:newest/26898586

May your day be filled with love, light, and inspiration
xo

 

Comments

Popular Posts