Let Your Light Shine!!

Whether it be thru snow scraper escapades, creative collaborations, sharing our gifts, kind words or simple actions...
We all possess the ability to inspire each other.  This trip was a huge reminder to me about the power of sharing our Creative Light.

Back in March, I received an email from a dear friend in Taos, Jen Acampora. She invited me to participate in an event she was planning , called an Ekphrasis.
(definition: a literary description of or commentary on a visual work of art)
 She had selected 14 NM Visual Artists & 14 poets.  The set up was that the poets were to creatively comment /respond to the paintings with poetry/words   She asked me to write a song based on a poem & a painting.  That alone was an honor!!

Pictured to the right – me, my Ekphrasis sisters (Jen Acampora: poet (middle) / Tera Muskrat: painter (right)) & the Painting entitled, “Channeling Georgia”

Come to find out the painter, Tera Muskrat is a huge Tori Amos Fan and it was the magic of O’Keefe that first brought me to the Southwest…..  Sensing synchronicity here…..
That inspired me to include some Tori Amos song titles in the song.  Jen joked that I made it a 4 way Ekphrasis!!

It ended up being one of the most amazing collaborative events I have ever been a part of.  Writing to their work enabled me to take my creativity to a higher & braver place. AND they both cried when they heard the song – which of course made my heart melt too!

Here’s a bit more about my experience….. as it was relayed to the Taos News in an interview  (full article about the event here)

So, what do I take from this?
It gives me courage.  THEIR creative sparkle sparked MY creative light.
And if I allow myself to keep shining, perhaps my work will do the same for others.

I am constantly awed by the talent around me...
One of my NM students is in the process of releasing her first EP and it’s amazing (so proud!)  I had the blessing to share the stage with my best friend, Rachael Penn, accompanying my music on violin & her new band rocks. Rebecca Abraxas who played with me in Denver blew me away with her songs & voice. Every painting & poem at the Ekphrasis was incredible. I return to Nashville, friends here are releasing amazing albums and singles.

If I am going to distill it down into some tangible thoughts or advice to share?

To Listen more closely to the world around me –
To Respond with more honesty to what I see and feel –
To Allow my true voice to flow a bit more deeply -
To Acknowledge & Experience the magic of synchronicity –
To Marvel at the talents of those around me – (my friends are amazing!)
To Be a little more fearless when what I’m creating goes against the norm –

And like any painting, song or poem?
We are all still a work in progress!!

When we allow our light to shine brighter?  The light we shed helps other people to shine more brightly as well!
I believe there’s enough room in the sky for all of us to be stars.

May your Light Continue to Shine for others to share
Love & Creativity!
M

Comments

Popular Posts