Are You Flexible?

ARE YOU FLEXIBLE?
Whether you know it or not - the answer is YES! Todays article focuses on how we can learn flexibility, in our minds, in our creative endeavors, and perhaps? Even in a yoga class…..
Ok, so here's a funny thing that happens to me all the time. People look at my card or talk to me and find out that I teach yoga.
Often they say, "I can't do Yoga, I'm not flexible!" Or "I would love to do Yoga, but I'm not flexible."
I smile and say, "You don't have to be flexible to take a yoga class!"
Then they look at me like I'm crazy….
That makes me sad, because I honestly promise you 100%, flexibility is a skill, and like everything we aspire to do in life, it can be learned…
I like to look at yoga from what I call the marathon mentality. If you started training for a marathon today would you begin by running 26 miles? Probably not! It would be nuts to put your shoes on for the first time today and then attempt to run 26 miles. You'd start this week with a mile, build to 2, so on and so forth.
In the same way it would be impractical to take your First piano lesson and plan to leave playing a Beethoven Sonata.
The same rules apply to yoga. If you don't regularly stretch & you've never taken a yoga class? It's not likely that you will be able to touch your toes, nose to your knees, forehead to floor in your first class…. No one would expect you to do that! But you can learn how
So now that we are ready to be flexible? Let's shift the mindset slightly…

We attend classes, take lessons and study in order to learn HOW to do something new.
Even if we have a natural ability, we still need to practice in order to grow and get better. And with every new task we need to start slowly.
When learning guitar, our fingers first get calluses first and then they become flexible enough to press the strings.
When learning piano we play scales to build flexibility in our fingers so that we can play more complex passages with emotion and speed.
When learning to sing, we practice exercises so that our vocal chords can become more flexible which expands our range and dynamics.
When we write our first songs, we must learn how to rearrange our ideas so that they fit into song form. We must be flexible in deciding where we place certain words so that they have rhyme and rhythm. Or perhaps move our title so that we can place it where it has impact.
In all of these examples, we start gradually and our flexibility increases as we build technique and strength. The way to avoid injury and learn correctly is to start slowly.

And even in relationships, as we grow with those we love, we become flexible in our understanding and communication

I am sure you can think of more examples of learning and life that require flexibility.  SEE, I told you - YOU ARE FLEXIBLE!!
We have a saying in Yoga, "A Flexible Spine is a Flexible Mind." As we become open physically we expand to fulfill our true potential.
And if you come to my class? When you sit on the floor, I will even arrange some pillows for you to sit on for support. Why?!?! Because with anything new it is important to encourage ourselves, make practical goals, and to start with simple tasks so that we can patient as we learn. Who knows, YOU might just end up touching your toes or playing that piece by Beethoven.
I can't wait to hear it!

Love, Light, & Spring Lotuses
Meredith

Comments

Popular Posts