3 Tricks for TIME MANAGEMENT – Part 1

Kids can really make you think about things... Their frank perspective often challenges the limiting patterns that we adults have made our reality.

I think the first step should be changing your perspective and tell yourself, “There is enough time to get things done!”  Actually, I have a dear friend who has something like that written on the cover of her Calendar

Having ‘enough’ time to get everything done has often been a challenge for me and I think most people, especially artists, can relate.  So, in my Meredith way, I have done a lot of reading on how to make this easier for myself.  Today I’ll share 3 things and 3 more next week :)

 1.     BRAIN DRAIN
Here is one of my favorite secrets that I’ve been given from 2 of my mentors.  In those moments of chaos when you feel overwhelmed and you don’t know where to start?  Take 10 minutes, STOP, and drain your brain.   My coaches recommend a big giant sticky pad and write as messy as you want! (you can  organize it later) or sometimes I type a word doc and print it for organization.  Literally write out everything that needs done from feeding the cat, to scheduling that interview.  This process clears the chaos and allows your brain to THINK again.

2.     CATCH & CAPTURE
This means finding a central location for all those pieces of paper, phone numbers, etc.  Create a system to track notes and to organize what needs to be done.  There are a lot of great programs out there to plan projects and tasks.  I love ToDoIst, but there are many more to choose from. There’s also Zoho, Asana, Evernote, SimpleNote and many more programs, not to mention most of these are free.  It took me a while to find one that was intuitive for me.  So experiment and find the one that works for YOU.  Hint:  Transfer the chaos from your brain drain to your Organizer.   Now it’s all looking clearer and manageable.

3.     CHECK IN & CALENDARIZE
Once a week take a look at what’s been done. 
It’s good for the spirit to be able to track your accomplishments and check things off! Then Look at your list and plan for the following week.

Calendarize is a made up word that my coach uses.  If you don’t regularly use calendar software, start NOW!  There are a lot of free ones.  I love regular old Google Calendar.   Put your appointments in one centralized place and schedule in your To-Do’s each week.   You save a ton of time by going through your week & not having to think about what’s supposed to happen next.  You just look at your calendar and you’re on track!
HINT: I find that I actually get more done and have less stress when I leave space for unexpected things and to breathe.   I have a tendency to overbook and that sends me into overwhelm mode.  I will pick up with Prioritizing next week.

I guess the theme for this week is…..
Keeping your brain free enables you to focus on what you need to get done!

Please feel free to drop a line back with your favorite tips and tricks!
Till then don’t forget to calendarize time to relax and rejuvenate ;)

XO
Meredith

Comments

Popular Posts