What You Believe, You Can Achieve

Nowadays, we hear a lot about the “law of attraction.”
The idea is that our minds have the power to create our reality, our success and financial prosperity. How? Simply put, by intending what we wish to create.

Ever since the publication of “The Secret,” mainstream culture has gained understanding of what people have called the power of intention.  Actually, this topic is not NEW.  Some of you might also be familiar with Napoleon Hill’s classic, “Think and Grow Rich.”  This book was first published in 1937!

First off – What is intention?
+  A course of action that one intends to follow
+ An aim that guides action; an objective
These philosophers/authors say it is as simple as stating what you want, as a message to the universe.  When we become crystal clear about our desires and goals, the universe will respond will opportunities and synchronicities that will lead us to reach the stated goal.   Napoleon Hill says the first step is a “burning desire.”

What is Manifestation?
+ The public display of emotion or feeling, or something theoretical made real.

The most powerful method to manifestation is visualization - Visualize yourself in the situation, job, home, car, etc that you dream of.  There are numerous stories of this reality.

I have a friend – she’s a single mom and her dream was to run a daycare.  Although she has extensive experience raising kids, she has no formal degrees, so she was unsure that this goal could ever be a reality.  She began to have daydreams of herself with kids, teaching them, playing with them, etc.   Soon after, through a random series of events her church presented an opportunity for her to create and run a daycare in their classrooms.  To me, that’s not random!  And I use that example because it’s something amazing that was manifested by a regular person.

And you see the points laid out here:  Strong Desire (write this part out clearly and concisely and look at it each day) Visualize yourself achieving the desire,  Stay tuned to Synchronistic events that align with your intention, Participate in opportunities that appear and Allow the reality to emerge.

Yeah, a lot of people think this idea is random witchcraft with no tangible basis in reality.  So, another KEY is a positive, pure mindset - I like to say “What you believe, you can achieve.”

How does this relate to Yoga?
Beyond the physical – Yoga nurtures what we call a neutral mind which allows us to perceive without being encumbered by positive (overly expansive thoughts) or negative (protective thought patterns)   Through postures and meditation we stimulate the systems of the body which enable us to still the mind.

Some of you are thinking…..
Sounds great, but not everyone can twist, turn and balance like a pretzel!
Once again we come back to the idea of intention.  Kundalini Yoga is not about perfection of postures, it’s about intention. 

Long story short…..
When I first learned about the practice of Bound Lotus – it was just something that called to me – the beauty of the pose and the idea that it is the most healing, restorative posture in yoga practice.

Then, through a random series of events I had the opportunity to study it privately with THE woman who I could say is a living master of this practice.  At the end of the afternoon, she said, practice this for ninety days and then teach it.  I was shocked – My mind recoiled to the negative – I can’t even do the full posture – I don’t know how to teach it, etc., etc., “that’s never going to happen.”

92 days later, I taught my first Bound Lotus workshop because the yoga studio where I was working asked me to. I am now one of a handful of people ‘certified’ to teach this kriya!

Mahan Kirn (my teacher) said to me, every time you practice; begin by silently stating an intention. In my workshop, I include a ceremony about the power of intention.

I met with Mahan Kirn on July 1, 2010 and I set the intention of practicing it for 1,000 days.  And to be honest, I wasn't sure that I would be able to do it....  They say in Yoga it takes 1,000 days of consecutive practice to master a kriya.   Today is June 5th, 2013 so that makes 1,070 days. I am not super human!  And truth be told, I cannot reach the full posture – however my intention has enabled me to reach beyond my original goal.  And that’s the key!!!

My experience with this kriya is a whole ‘nother post.   Simply, it has taught me that I have accomplished what I thought was once impossible, it has kept me accountable, and provided some amazing experiences of self healing both physically & emotionally.  (For example when I began, I had tendonitis in my left hip ;)

I invite you to join in this Friday and learn about it yourself!  Or invite me to your city and I am happy to host a workshop!!   You are not expected to reach the full posture, I teach you how to facilitate holding the posture with props & support.  AND, most importantly about the magic of intention.  Oftentimes, it’s not about the end goal, it’s about sticking to the path along the way.

May your day be blessed with positive thoughts and possible dreams :)

P.S.:  More About Bound Lotus on my site HERE  

         And on the Bound Lotus Site HERE   
 

Comments

Popular Posts