ANYONE CAN DO YOGA (if you don't believe me, read this!)

This article talks about the most common reasons why people think they can't - in reality anyone can (if they want to!) You don't have to be Gumby and you don't have to take a vow of silence or live on a mountain top to receive the many benefits of a yoga practice.
Just to clarify - this article is not intended to preach why everyone Should do Yoga. If it interests you, try it! My goal is to give encouragement to people who might be curious but feel intimidated about taking a class or don't know where to begin.
Always here for you if you have any Questions 

I CAN'T DO YOGA BECAUSE.....

1. I'M NOT FLEXIBLE! That's Ok, most people aren't
You don't need to be Gumby to go to a yoga class - the point is that Yoga will HELP you to be more flexible.
I often explain it this way. Let's say you are not a runner and you decide that you would like to run a marathon. You would never begin your training with 31 miles?!?! You would start with one or two and then slowly over the course of time build towards the full distance. Yoga is the same way, you are NOT expected to touch your toes in the first class! It's perfectly fine to start by touching your hands to your thighs - give it a few classes you will touch your knees and so on....
So if you feel stiff? Increasing flexibility might be a great reason to try yoga. Stretching is key to releasing tension in the body. 

2. WHERE DO I FIND A CLASS? WHAT CLASS DO I TAKE?
Please know that this confusion is truly valid. There are 22 basic forms of Yoga (what?!?) and within each there are also different styles.... Yikes! So, I often tell people to take at least 5 different classes with 5 different teachers and see which class/teacher/style they LIKE best. There is no right or wrong style, everyone has their preferences.
 Let the teacher know that this is your first class. Most will be thrilled that you showed up, and if they are a little condescending about it? It's probably not the right class for you.
Go at Your Own Pace! Listen to Your Body and Take it Slow. Don't worry what other people are doing. Yes, it's fine when teachers gently correct postures but never let anyone force you into a position that does not feel good or pushes you beyond your flexibility. Always be mindful of your comfort zone and listen to the limitations of your body. As a general rule, the best place to begin is an Intro/Beginner class. Call the studio and see what ones they offer 

3. WHEN I MEDITATE MY MIND WANDERS, IT GOES CRAZY, AND I CANNOT SIT STILL
This is NORMAL!! You have never done it before!! If I went to a Zumba class, I'd probably be tripping all over myself because? I've never done it before. It's a new thing for me. Meditation is comfortable for me ONLY because I've been doing it for nearly 10 years. And by the way? My mind still wanders sometimes.
We refer to meditation as a shower for the subconscious mind. All those crazy thoughts that rush in are actually part of the natural process of clearing all the 'psychic dirt' from your brain. That's why it helps bring more calm and focus into your life. Be kind to yourself - The awareness that your mind is wandering is actually a good thing. Once you notice your thoughts going awry - just calmly bring your attention back to your breath or to the mantra. It's no big thing.... 

4. I HAVE A PRE-EXISITING INJURY / CONDITION
In most cases this is fine. (of course confirm this with your doctor)
I have had 2 surgeries on my right knee - including an ACL reconstruction. (Btw, the Bound Lotus has really helped the tendonitis in my hips which resulted from the knee injury...)
SO? I modify certain exercises - meaning I alter them to accommodate my limitations. It is of the utmost importance to Honor Thy Body. Let the teacher know about your pre-exisiting injuries and modify your practice accordingly. And if you are pregnant please make your instructor aware of that and your best bet is probably to start with a pre-natal class.

 5. I DON'T LIKE GRANOLA AND I LIKE MY STEAK RARE....
That's ok we're cool with that. Just check with the host before you bring that steak tartare to a hippie potluck. Lol! (Although, I was at one recently and people were eating chicken.)
Point is Most Yogis don't mind
The core of any practice is being accepting of all people. It doesn't matter how flexible you are on the mat, the real deal is, who you are outside of class! Yoga is a mindset of understanding, gratitude and seeing the light in all beings.
One doesn't have to eat Tofu - the key is being aware if you are judging someone because they choose that over a hamburger or visa versa.
That's the essence of Yoga Practice

Comments

Popular Posts