3 Amazing Things About The Grammys!

It’s funny to a lot of my friends how excited I get about awards shows!
For me, the Grammys in particular bring back awesome memories. When I was a kid, my dad was an exec at Artista Records, and he would take me. It was a big thrill and a super fun night out for us -  So, maybe I’m partial ;) But as a big kid now, I still love them for a lot of reasons.  Beyond the awards & the pomp and circus-stance of  special effects and twirling P!nk, there’s a lot to be gleaned from what goes on – (especially for music industry people). 

 
1. INSPIRATION! 
Yes, some of the acts might not be YOUR Thing…..  But when some of them are – WOW!  It opens the heart and gets creative juices flowing…
It’s no surprise how much I dug Sara Bareilles and Carole King.  For those of you who didn’t see, they sat at 2 pianos facing each other – and did a duet which combined Carole’s Hit, “Beautiful” and Sara’s, “Brave.”  Go Piano Girls !

Also, the unlikely creative combinations….  As you may have guessed I am not necessarily a huge Metallica fan  (I actually am not familiar enough with them to say IF I like them!) but they combined their hit, “One” with an Unbelievable classical pianist named Lang Lang.  I had never heard of him and it was SO inspiring to me.  Makes me want to practice more!   And that kind of duet opens the creative mind to think outside of the box when it comes to your musical production.

I learned stuff… new bands, new songs, new genres to listen to.  New experiences and new music fill my prosaic, creative well. yay!

2. IT’S MORE THAN JUST THE MUSIC 
It brings people together!
There were a lot of incredible performances, songs and celebrations that honored music legends and music teachers (!!!!!) The Grammy foundation does a lot to support music education (you know that makes me happy!).

A band from France called Daft Punk,  won Album of the Year.  They dress like robots (that’s whole ‘nother post)  But who knew that Paul Williams (songwriting legend – “The Rainbow Connection,”  “Rainy Days & Mondays,”  “Evergreen” – to name a few….) was a part of that project? He’s 73 and Rockin’ out with Robots.  That’s pretty cool. 
And legendary Producer Nile Rogers  (Madonna, Duran Duran, Diana Ross, David Bowie) was also in on it. And Stevie Wonder performed with Daft Punk and Pharell Williams (what?)  Amazing to see such talent crossing genre lines and preconceived notions of what should be.

Also, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (with Mary Lambert) performed, “Same Love” – a song about same sex relationships, gay marriage and the importance of accepting all people.   This was a highlight for me.  Ok, I’ll admit,  Queen Latifah marrying 33 couples from the Grammy stage was a bit much…. But they also included gay couples, interracial couples, as well as heterosexual couples –  I’m proud to be in an industry that openly embraces everyone.
 
3. SOMETIMES, YOUR TEAM DOES WIN
One of my favs was Kacey Musgraves getting Best Country Album.
AND sometimes your team doesn’t win…..  but that’s life - Things don’t always go our way…
This year, most of my favs didn’t win….  So, I can be bitter or say, "hey, maybe I should check out that Daft Punk record".  Perhaps I’ll learn something. And if I don’t like it?  Well, that’s cool…. Someone else did!  And that record brought them a smile.  And it doesn’t take away the brilliance from the songs/artists/records that I loved that didn’t win or weren’t even nominated

At the end of the day,  the Grammys represent just a piece of our industry & there’s no way to expect ONE awards show to cover ALL great music in one night!
It’s important for us to remember to honor ALL of the amazing music in our world - EVERY Night.  So Rock On with whatever your creativity brings you!

Love and Light,
Meredith

Comments

Popular Posts