Be The Music You Want to See In This World

By mere definition Magic is something that enchants & charms through mysterious influences..... Often something feels magical because we can't see the source or describe HOW it happened! Sometimes, it is merely an illusion - ie: Card Tricks & Bunnies appearing out of black hats.
In Performance the magic seems to be in creating a Presence through the expression of Passion.

As I drove home from the Fiona concert, I began to think about the source of her magic and this thought popped into my little brain.
"She is the music" That's the best way to describe it. That kind of magic comes from inside. It's this kind of true passion that creates an undeniable presence.
The Magic of her performance was that she was not performing. She was on stage being the music.

I don't want to get didactic but so many shows nowadays are covered in glitter and fanfare and fireworks so that the audiences don't notice the canned vocals .... That's not a criticism it's a true observation. That being said, if the focus of your show includes a lot of acrobatics and live dancing - I can accept the lack of live vocals because you are trying to do gymnastics While you sing. Yes it's pretty cool!
However, that's a show, not a Music Concert.

Now, I've read that Fiona doesn't tour as much as most artists because the press has a colorful history of being a little critical of her & more importantly, she is genuinely shy, slightly agoraphobic, and a little self-conscious. It's hard to believe because her performances & her music express such Raw Emotions
I can imagine that it's taxing and scary to go out there every night and bleed on the stage.

It seems that audiences are awed by that level of passion because it's SO hard for most people to go there and honestly say what they are feeling. That's why we are mystified. Think about it - It takes a lot of courage and a special spirit to be able to share that raw expression on a stage in front of thousands of people. Most people can't, don't, won't and that's fine.
I was looking around the audience (I often do that too in order to see what people are reacting to and get a better sense of what is affecting people) People are entranced by seeing someone share the truth and the hidden emotions that we fear to express. She has a magic to do that freely & with the appearance of being fearless.

"My mind this body and this voice will not be stifled by your deviant ways, don't forget what I told you, don't come around - I got my own hell to raise"
Perhaps we'd like to scream this (or something similar) at certain people..... but oftentimes we don't have the courage to say those things - society dictates that we ought not to & it's hard to find the right words. Then we hear them in a song..... And we know we are not alone.
It's empowering.

That's the heart of what makes a performance shine. There are no real short-cuts.
If you are writing music in order to catch adoring fans & sell it? Then you must be willing to share real emotions and give your audience something they don't already have.

So my best analysis? Be The Music You Want To See In This World!
If you sing/write/play the words that you really want to say. I'll bet you are not alone in those emotions. Express yourself with honesty. That's the Magic of a performance.

This presence & passion is very different than performing to Impress the Audience.
Being the Music, is what WOWED me on Friday Night.

BTW, what's the best live show You've seen recently?
Drop a line back and share your thoughts & Favorite YouTubes!!!

Here's one of my mine.... I am amazed by the raw emotion and fearless performance of Beth Hart (note this Video is PG-13 & a little wild)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Z43nt6N2I

And here's an amazing review of Fiona's show
http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/07/fiona-apple-wins-at-the-ryman/

Sending you Love, Light, Magic and Music
Meredith

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you are liking The Charge and thanks for sharing the awesome videos of some of my fave artists too:) Have a great, relaxing, fun time in NM!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts