30 Songs in 30 Days

Here's a sunset pic from NM that I wanted to share!
That my friends is a Full Moon rising....
30 songs in 30 days
To be honest, before I left on my journey to NM and CO, I felt pretty overwhelmed …. From what I have seen, many of us artist /entrepreneurs tend to have those moments. We think "I'm doing so much that nothing seems to be getting done! What key am I missing to get to the next step?" In that moment, the answer that I found inside of myself was FOCUS …. That made me even more anxious as I asked myself, "Where? On what? How?"
And one evening as I did my meditation practice, it became clear in my heart that I needed to be focusing more on Songwriting.
Then, an idea … "Write 30 songs in 30 days"
WHAT? That's crazy, but in that moment, this plan made perfect sense. I decided to ruminate on it.

Inspiration & Synchronicity
Very Timidly I mentioned this plan to a friend who is a fellow songwriting yogini named Miri. We met at a festival here in Nashville last summer. She said, "Wow! That sounds awesome, are you serious? I'm in!" Now I had a team.
While at the Durango Expo, a writer whom I greatly admire, Chuck Cannon, gave a seminar. He read us a piece of one of his blog posts – the essence of it was, WRITE & when you are sick of writing? Write some more …. On Being a Songwriter. It's a short piece and well worth reading for you writers out there! I greatly appreciate both his inspiration & honesty.
I also met some friends at Durango who introduced me to the Immersion Composition Society. Wow! A little bit crazy (I'm usually up for that!) but what an amazing tool for opening and encouraging the creative flow! More on that next week.
So it seems that the universe has my back and all the signs are saying Go For It!
For the Play by Play please check out my Blog and each day I will be writing a short missive and update.  2 days are posted already!
Start Date: Monday, October 17, 2011
I overslept, could not concentrate, and felt very out of balance. Still recovering from traveling to and from a whirlwind in the Southwest. I already have A, B, & C to catch up on – a yoga class to plan & teach – I know I will make this happen, but now there is a doubt beginning to appear of HOW? Well, I did write for over an hour but decided that I'll officially start on Tuesday, it's my game, I can make the rules.
Resistance and Reality Check
Something inside of me was freezing. I hadn't even begun and my brain was already overloaded and my body was creating physical symptoms?!?! This mission was supposed to help me focus and calm the artistic overwhelm!
What can I do to simultaneously slow down and achieve my goal?
As time passes it's often so important to re-assess our goals. And to realize it's not giving up! It's being realistic so that we CAN accomplish them.
My last E-zine talked about the Adventures and Magic of a Daily Practice
What if I applied the concept of Sadhana (in yoga we translate that word as, "daily practice") to my songwriting?
If I don't already have the habit of writing for at least an hour EVERY day, how can I expect myself to write an entire song each day?
It's not about 30 songs in 30 days. It's about commitment. If I get 10 done, but I have written every single day, scheduled as many co-writes as I can, and made progress in my craft? I can live with that! It's important to remember sometimes the intention is more powerful than reaching a supposed finish line!!
My new goal? 30 days of songwriting. I can relax into that.
What if perhaps I DO get 30 songs completed? Stay in tune with me as I blog a short missive each day here. There are 2 days up already!!

And Lastly
What successful tips can you share about planning your time to accomplish goals?

Is there something YOU want to commit to for the next 30 days?
Feel free to share it on my Blog – would love to hear about your creativity, inspirations and goals!
Let me know if you are interested in traveling with me on this journey!
Meantime, it appears that I have some songwriting to do …

Love, Light, Inspiration, Words & Music
Meredith

Comments

Popular Posts